Monday, December 15, 2008

Pantages Theater, Minneapolis, 12/13/08

What a night. My favorite show so far. Ever. It felt like the first truly rocking DW solo gig. I did the first set alone & then with Brad Gordon on piano for the last two songs. Then John Munson, Eric Fawcett and Steve Roehm joined in for the second half. The group moved like a school of fish through the dynamics - turning together and not knowing why, just going with it. Brad's clarinet on "Baby Doll" was pure joy. The "Secret Smile" jam still makes me smile.

I snuck in some Bob Dylan in the middle of "Hand on My Heart" and then later in the set sang Dylan's "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" with the full band in nasty, groovy, greasy stomp mode and it was hilarious. I had never been able to cover a Dylan song but after I spoke at the "Blood on the Tracks" event in November, I got inspired to try again. And this song seems like I can get inside it pretty well.

Did you hear the travelogue in the first four songs? "Hand on My Heart," "Turtledove," "Across the Great Divide," "California." I felt the room was with me all the way. Thank you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You really should have played "Cry" at the end.

Also, facebook.

Lojasmo

WV: Reducte: like redact, only stealthier.

ArleneM said...

Gotta agree; it was your best show ever, and that's really saying something!

Thank you for continuing to evolve and for sharing your beautiful music and fabulous musician friends with us!

Anonymous said...

I love the theater and this comment you made about the dynamics of things...at the drug rehab I work at we teach all about the 8 dynamics of life and how if one falls out they all fall out. This is so important in life to realize what really matters.